Sunday, February 12, 2012

Crock Pot Barbecue Pulled Pork

Today we're making pulled pork using a crock pot. I love using my crock pot since it means that I can assemble the ingredients the in the morning or the night before, turn on the crock pot in the morning and when I get home from work the house smells incredible.


In this case, I assembled all of the ingredients the night before into the removable stoneware from the crock pot. I placed the lid on the stoneware and put it in the refrigerator. In the morning, I took it out, put it in the crock pot, and went to work. Super easy.


Ingredients

  • 1 pork shoulder (mine was 4.59lb bone-in)
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 2 cups ketchup (this is equivalent to an entire 24oz bottle)
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water (optional, I'd omit)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce



Directions
Start by slicing the onion.


Now plop the pork shoulder into the crock pot. Lay the onion slices on top of the pork. Add the brown sugar, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce first, then add the ketchup, vinegar, and water on top. Turn the crock pot on low and come back in 8-10 hours. 


After 10 hours on low it was still really liquidly, so I turned the heat up to high and let it go for another 2 hours without the lid. The pork was incredibly tender and shredded very easily. More importantly, it was delicious. The sauce was thin, so next time I'd omit the water.


I used the pulled pork to make sandwiches,


tacos,


and ate it with chips.


Happy cooking.


The recipe shown here is a modification of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment